25 Essential Keyboard Shortcuts for Mac
Note: Single letter keys are shown capitalized, but you do not have to hold Shift unless it’s written. You also don’t have to type the plus sign; plus sign just means push the keys on either side of it at the same time.
Commonly Used OS-Level Shortcuts
1. Command + Tab (toggle between programs)
2. Command + M (minimize active window)
3. Swipe three fingers up on trackpad (show all active windows)
4. Command + Shift + 3 (take screen shot; the default settings will save it to a predefined location, usually the “Pictures” folder and name it “Picture1,” “Picture2,” etc.)
5. Command + N (opens new Finder from desktop; new window/file in most other programs)
6. Command + T (open a new tab)
7. Command + Shift + t (reopens the tab you last closed in Chrome, Firefox, Opera; works multiple times)
8. Command + R (reload page)
9. Backspace (go to the previous page; works multiple times)
10. Control + Tab (cycle between tabs/go to next tab in Chrome, Firefox, Opera)
Commonly Used Shortcuts in Most Applications
11. Command + Z (undo last operation)
12. Command + Y (redo last operation)
13. Command + O (open file)
14. Command + S (save)
15. Command + W (close active window or file)
16. Command + Q (quit application)
17. Command + A (select all in active window; e.g., select all text on page)
18. Command + X (cut to clipboard)
19. Command + C (copy)
20. Command + V (paste)
21. Command + F (find; helpful if you’re searching for a particular word on a website or document)
22. Command + Shift + down arrow (select until end of line)
23. Command + Shift + up arrow (select until beginning of line)
24. Command + up arrow (move cursor to top/start of document)
25. Command + down arrow (move cursor to bottom/end of document)
fixyourmac.ca – For more than 20 years, we have specialized in all things Mac, service and support – Macbook, Pro, iMac, and Macintosh / PC Desktop repairs including upgrades to increase the performance of your apple computer network.
We are your source for all things Mac in South Western Ontario including GTA, Toronto, Markham, North York, Brampton, Vaughan, Mississauga, Burlington, Hamilton, Kitchener-Waterloo, Cambridge Ontario and beyond!
We make it easy and convenient and will come to you for fast turnaround to get your apple mac fixed right or upgraded so you can get back to work or play as quickly as possible.